Exchanging your home

You may be able to “swap your home” by exchanging tenancies with another housing association or local authority tenant, which is called a mutual exchange.

If you would like to register for a mutual exchange you can do so by going to the Homes Direct site and completing the online registration form. 

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, we will not give you permission to swap unless the home meets your need. For example, we would not allow a single person to swap into a 4 bedroom home.

If you would like more information about mutual exchanges you can learn more about this by browsing the drop down information below.

  • What do I need to do to get a mutual exchange?

    First of all you need to register with Homes Direct. Once you've done that, you can see who else has registered, and they can see you. Then you need to find someone who wants to exchange their property with you. 

    The next step is to complete a ‘Mutual Exchange Application Form’ for your property and the household you are planning to exchange with. Please call our Customer Hub on 0345 60 20 540 and we will complete these forms with you. You will need the following details:

    • The names, date of birth and gender of all of your family members and those of the family you wish to exchange with
    • Details about both of the properties including the address, the name of your housing officers, what type of properties you are exchanging, number of bedrooms
    • Details of your income and rent
  • Getting permission for a mutual exchange

    Midland Heart does not grant permission to all mutual exchange requests.  There are a number of things that we take into consideration when making a decision about whether or not to permit a mutual exchange. 

    We take into consideration the following:

    • Whether or not either person has rent arrears
    • If the property is maintained in a satisfactory condition
    • If the property has been adapted for specific needs
    • If you are on our exclusion or suspension list for housing (see the full list of reasons)
    • If either household would be Under Occupying or overcrowding
    • The type of tenancies held, and if they can be legally swapped.

    Lots of people mutual exchange happily, and as you find someone to swap with, we will look to give you a clear answer quickly as to if it can proceed or not, and what happens next.

  • Starting the process

    When you find a household to exchange properties with you start the process by speaking to one of our Customer Service Officers on 0345 60 20 540.