We are supporting Gas Safety Week
As we move into autumn and the temperature starts to drop, it’s that time of year when we start to fire up the heating again. We all want our homes to be cosy and warm, but it is worth taking a moment to consider whether your fuel-burning appliances are safe for use.
Gas Safety Week, which runs 18-24 September, aims to raise awareness of gas safety and highlight the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. Working with Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas safe engineers, we are sharing simple tips and checks that can help you keep yourself, your loved ones and your home safe.
Did you know?
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year, thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
What you can do
Follow these simple checks to keep you and your family safe.
- Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer – make sure you allow our contractors (PH Jones) access to carry out your annual service
- Find out more about gas safety in Midland Heart homes here
- Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly - lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance or too much condensation in the room
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness – if in doubt, get out
- Buy an audible carbon monoxide alarm that will alert you if there is too much carbon monoxide in your home
- If you smell gas, call National Grid immediately on 0800 111 999
- Never try DIY with gas appliances
- Go to www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500 for more gas safety advice
Don’t forget – if you allow our contractors access to complete your annual safety check on the first appointment, you will be entered into a monthly prize draw to win £50 of High Street vouchers!