HR, Payroll and Learning Solutions
Following the launch of a new corporate plan the complexity and size of our business, including our workforce, is changing. A key aim of our new corporate plan is to become an employer of choice across our geography; using our employer brand to attract, recruit, develop and grow talent. Over the next five years, we plan to make record investments in the services we offer our customers (to become a top class landlord), our properties and our people. Our digital transformation is already underway with the launch of new customer apps and investment in big data solutions. We want to ensure we have the right solutions in place to support the People strategy; delivering an adaptable solution which provides a greater degree of self service, enables a changing business environment, supports a changing reward and benefits portfolio and with the capacity to underpin smart working. We aim to:
- Have a reputation as a leading, inclusive and rewarding employer that people aspire to work for
- Ensure our colleagues are engaged with the work we do and the differences we make
- Grow our people so that they choose to stay and build a career with us
We want to empower our people and managers to have greater control with increased self-service and reporting, supported by streamlined and automated transactional processes. We require powerful and intuitive mobile functionality to promote modern and smart ways of working.
As part of the corporate plan delivery, we are seeking replacement of solutions for Core HR, Payroll and Learning. The information gathered as part of this soft market test will input directly to the outline business case for the future service.
The RFI is issued solely for the purpose of conducting market engagement and does not constitute any commitment by Midland Heart to undertake any procurement exercise in the future. This exercise includes no element of supplier evaluation. No parties will be prejudiced by any response or failure to respond to this questionnaire, there is no commitment of any kind involved on either side.
This RFI does not constitute a call for competition to procure any services and Midland Heart is not bound by any proposal offered. Midland Heart is also not liable for any costs, fees or expenses incurred by any party in its response to this soft market testing questionnaire.
Midland Heart intends to conduct the RFI according to the following timetable so far as is reasonable and practicable:
23rd May 2019
RFI Questions to be submitted by
4th June 2019
RFI Response to questions from Midland Heart
7th June 2019
4pm 14th June 2019
Meet the Buyer Event (provisional date)
1-4pm - 20th June 2019
To access details of the RFI please follow the link below to the advert on Contracts Finder
Clarification Questions & Responses.
|1||Are you looking for a software solution only for your requirements that you would operate with occasional maintenance or support from a third party or do you anticipating needing a service delivery or outsource partner to provide these services to you from without your organisation?||At this early stage of the project, we are exploring the various options available to Midland Heart – this would include reviewing both an insourced model using software solutions available, through to a fully outsourced model where a delivery partner can support. We are interested in understanding what options are available in the market.|
|2||When you say "A key driver for improved reporting is to support resource planning " what do you mean? What type of resource planning do you hope to achieve||To answer the first part of your question, we want to achieve better reports against forecasted resource and actual resources and to match budgeted establishment with actual establishment. Clear dynamic reporting for managers, finance and HR departments is key to this. To provide clarity on your second question, our workforce planning, future forecasting and pay modelling is all done manually and we hope to adopt on-system processes to support this element.|
|3||Is GDPR a key driver for us as this has been for some organisations.||Yes, compliance with GDPR is key|
|4||What is the full scope of capabilities that we are considering for the project?||Capabilities are still under review against target solution architecture at this early stage of the project. The principle areas of scope are core HR, payroll and learning solutions. Consideration is also being given to travel & expense management, attendance management, wellbeing & engagement, health & safety, rewards and compensation. However, as these are still in discussion full details of capabilities are expected to be shared during the formal tender process|
|5||1. You mention in the document that you had 1188 FTEs in 2018, what is the current number of FTEs and does this also represent the number of actual employees?
2. Are you looking to bring your Payroll in house or is a managed service your preferred method?
3. Please clarify the number of HR Admin and Payroll Admin Users that will need access to the solution?
|1. Current number of FTE's is the same. Total employees is c1600.
2. We are looking at all options for Payroll from insourced model through to a managed service. We are interested in understanding the options and costs associated
3. At this stage of the project, we project around 15-20 admin users and up to 3 Payroll Admin Users
|6||In terms of HR solutions you have expressed a need for the provision of Core HR and LMS. Could you confirm if you would need any of the following Talent Management options included in your quote?
. Recruiting & Onboarding
. Performance Management (Appraisals)
. Succession Planning
. Compensation planning
. 360 reviews/surveys
|Capabilities are still under review against target solution architecture at this early stage of the project. Further details of capabilities are expected to be shared during the formal tender process. However, we can confirm the following areas of Talent Management are of interest:
. Performance Management (Appraisals)
. Succession Planning
. Compensation planning
. 360 reviews/surveys
At this stage, Recruitment & Onboarding are not in scope. However, we are interested in understanding whether suppliers have capability in this area.
|7||In terms of the LMS do you offer formal certifications, CPD or apprenticeships that you will wish to manage in the LMS? If so could you provide some details please?||Our LMS capabilities are under review and at this stage we are interested in understanding what solutions can support certifications and CPD.|
|8||How many payrolls do you currently process and what are the frequencies of these ie. Weekly, monthy etc||We currently run one monthly payroll, and are likely to require a second monthly payroll for our contingent labour for the purposes of IR35 compliance.|
|9||When would your ideal go live timelines be for this project.||Once the full scope of the project is finalised, we will share planned go live dates. However, we aim to start formal procurement in Q3 (19/20) Fiscal Year|
1) Please specify that Midland Heart is fine with Cloud or On-Premise Payroll System.
2) Is there any Specific time system that Mid land Heart wants to Continue for Time & Absence tracking
3) Is Midland Heart using any other Benefits Application?
4) Are there any employee benefits which should be managed (Enrol/Exit) by employees?
5) What other HR/Non-HR Applications that Midland Heart wants to Integrate with new HR System
|1) We prefer cloud based solutions
2) We are interested in understanding what Time & Absence solutions are available in the market
3) We will continue to use a number of benefits partners/solutions and have recently implemented a new benefits portal for this
4) Yes, some benefits are managed by employees and existing solutions will continue to support this
5) Integrations to core systems are currently under review and integration will depend on volume/frequency of transactions between these systems. Integrations under review include Active Directory, corporate data warehouse, accounting system, recruitment solution, benefits portal and LMS and Payroll.
1) Please Mention if Midland Heart uses any Third-Party Learning Content Like Udacity, Coursera, LinkedIn, EDX or any other 3rd Party Learning
2) Please Specify how may in house Courses & content that Midland Heart has.
3) Please Mention do Midland Heart uses Kirkpatric Model of Evaluation in Learning?
4) Do Midland Heart wants to Integrate Development Plans, Competencies with Learning Items and see the achievements of an Employee.
4) Please specify if Midland Heart uses VLS Methods (Virtual Learning) like Classroom based cum Online Trainings through WebEx, Skype, adobe Connect.
5) Please Mention that Midland Heart will be using SF Cloud Content server or Midlands On-Premise Content server?
|1) No we do not, but we are interested in understanding availability of 3rd party content.
2) Courses volumes are under review. Further details will be provided at procurement stage
3) No we do not.
4) Yes, we are interested in understanding what is available in this area
5) No we do not, but we are interested in understanding what is available in this area
6) We prefer cloud based solutions (in appropriate data centres)
1) Please Mention Midland Heart maintain Court order & Student loan deduction?
2) Does Midland Heart make Statutory & Occupational Sick/Maternity/Paternity/Adoption pay?
3) Does Midland Heart maintain company car information?
4) Do Midland Heart have employees working in the Isle of Man, Jersey, or Guernsey and Alderney. Also, please specify the preference on payroll system that Midland has
5) Please mention any company specific Shift payment / overtime / weekend allowance / holiday allowance?
6) Please mention any deviation from Statutory Contribution towards National Insurance and Pension contribution?
|1) Yes. Further details of capabilities required will be provided at procurement stage
2) Yes. Further details of capabilities required will be provided at procurement stage
3) Yes. Further details of capabilities required will be provided at procurement stage
4) No, we do have employees in this area. Payroll options are under review and we are interested in what solutions are available at this stage (in house and outsourced)
5) Further details of capabilities required will be provided at procurement stage
6) Our Payroll is subject to English, Welsh or Scottish statutory requirements. Further information on our pension provisions will be provided at procurement stage.
|13||Integration & Other Points:
1) What sort of Integration Methods does the current HR Resource link system Provides, will there be any need of Integration with Resource link after Implementation of New HR solution. (Does Midland Heart use ResourceLink for any other purpose after Implementation of new HR system)
2) Please Mention any Reporting tools that Midland Heart uses and what sort of Integration is required for it.
|1) Resource Link currently integrates to a number of other systems, but this is largely done through flat file export/import rather than API integrations. It is expected that a new HR solution would replace Reource Link functionality
2) API integration is expected with our corporate data warehouse. We use PowerBI as our corporate reporting solution
|14||Is there an incumbent LMS provider that you are working with?
How much of your Learning Is compliance lead?
How much of the existing Learning content Is delivered online vs classroom?
Do you own/produce Learning content or Is it provided by a third party?
|We currently use an LMS provided by The Working Manager.
There are a number of compliance led courses, especially due to our work in the care and support area. However, this is likely to change as we are divesting some of our care business.
There is a mix of online and classroom led learning - further details of splits will be provided at procurement stage
The majority of learning content is created and provided in house, however we are interested in understanding what options are available to us for future content delivery
|15||We understand you currently have a part-managed payroll service. Assuming you would like to continue with this arrangement, please will you describe the services provided by your current payroll supplier? This will enable us to give you responses and prices on a like for like basis.||Further details will be provided at procurement stage; however we can confirm that all base data entry and updates are carried out in-house and this is unlikely to change. In summary, our current payroll provider is responsible for the FPS and EPS submissions to HMRC and issues a journal to our finance team. BACS payments to colleagues and third-party suppliers is predominantly in-house. This model is under review and we are interested in learning what other options are available to support us in developing a resilient payroll model.|