• If you're struggling to pay your rent, speak to our Money Advice Team.

    Find out more

Money Advice

We understand you may be worried about how Coronavirus will affect your finances and your ability to pay your bills, including your rent.

If you currently receive Universal Credit or other benefits, you shouldn’t notice a change in your payments unless your circumstances have changed. Remember to update your local benefits office or the department for work and pensions (DWP) with any changes.

Unfortunately, we’re not able to reduce everyone’s rent but you may be eligible for financial support depending on your personal circumstances. Our money advice team have put together some helpful information below


Changes to your pay
Student loans
Shared ownership
Council tax and other bills

If you’re being paid less as a result of Coronavirus or if you’ve lost your job, you may be entitled to welfare benefits such as Universal Credit, statutory sick pay or employment and support allowance. You can read more here.

The Chancellor has announced a support package for the self-employed too. You can find out more about what your business can claim here.

The student loan company has confirmed that students will still receive the next installment of their maintenance loan as planned, even if the university is closed.

If you have a mortgage and you’re unable to make your normal payments, speak with your mortgage lender about reducing your interest rate or taking a ‘mortgage holiday’.   

You may be able to claim council tax support if your income has changed. Call your local council to find out more about the help available to you.

If you’re worried about paying other household bills, like your water, gas or electric bills, or if you’re unable to leave the house to top up your prepayment meter, contact your supplier for help. We’ve put together a list of the most common suppliers below and their contact details:



British Gas

0333 202 9802


0333 200 5100


0345 052 0000


0800 073 3000

Scottish Power

0800 027 0072


0345 026 2658


0330 102 7517


0300 303 0635

Robin Hood

0800 030 4567


0800 093 7547


0333 103 9575

Green Network

0800 520 0202

Green Star Energy

0800 012 4510

Omni Energy

0113 457 3219

Utility Warehouse

0333 777 3247


0345 207 2000

If you’re worried about your rent payments, please speak to your rent payment officer.