Having a pet can be really rewarding, here you’ll find lots of useful information you might need about keeping a pet in your home.

From caring for them, the legal responsibilities, and understanding which animals you aren’t allowed to keep. There’s also information on how to report any concerns you may have about pets in your neighbourhood.

Click here and use our easy tool to find out if you're allowed to keep the pet you want in your home. 

After you've checked, here's the form you need to complete.

  • What sort of pets can I have?

    You will need to get permission from us if you want to keep a pet in your home. The only times where you don't need permission are if:

    • You have a Guide dog or Assistance dog 
    • You want to keep fish in a tank
    • You want to keep 1 small rodent in a cage
    • You want to keep 1 bird in a cage


    If the property you're living in or moving into is suitable for the pets you wish to keep, and there are no issues with keeping pets (e.g. previous evidence of failing to keep pets or the number of requests for any type of animal seems to be ‘excessive’), we'll assess all applications and will grant or decline permission in accordance with the below.



    Flat (high rise)

    Flat or Maisonette (with direct access to outdoor space and ground floor)

    1 dog

    Yes (maximum   of 2)


    Yes (maximum   of 2)

    1 cat

    Yes (maximum   of 2)


    Yes (maximum   of 2)





    Bird in a cage




    Fish tank




    If you are thinking about getting a pet but would like more advice or information, the RSPCA offer lots of guidance on different sorts of animals and different breeds that are suitable for different lifestyles.

  • How do I get permission to have a pet?

    If you want to get permission to keep a pet in your property, you'll need to check your tenancy agreement. You need to ensure that getting a pet will not be a breach of your tenancy agreement.

    If it isn't a breach of your tenancy, click here to fill out a pet request form.

  • What type of pets are not allowed?

    We don't allow certain types of animals to be kept in our properties as pets, these include:

    • Any animal that requires a license under the Dangerous Dogs Act. This act was amended in May 2014 to include a criminal offence for anyone in charge of a dog who allows it to be "dangerously out of control" either on private or public grounds. More information about this and a list of banned dogs can be found by clicking here
    • Any type of farm animals
    • Any type of bird of prey
    • Any type of animal that requires external kennels, runs or aviaries (with the exception of guide or assistance dogs)
  • Keeping a pet in a Midland Heart property

    If you have a pet in your property, it's your responsibility to care for it and to keep it under control.

    If your animal is sick, you may be eligible for free veterinary care. Follow this link to the PDSA site to find out if you're eligible for free or supported veterinary care.

    If you want to get your pet neutered, you may be able to free of charge or at a reduced cost. For more information, head to the Cats Protection information page. To find out about low-cost dog neutering, take a look at the Dogs Trust information page.

    We've also created these helpful guides for you, here is one on puppies and dogs, and here is one on kittens and cats.

  • What happens if my cat has kittens/dog has puppies?

    If you decide to keep the kittens/puppies and do not find them suitable new homes, you'll exceed the number of animals we have given you permission to keep.

    Keeping more animals, regardless of how they came to be part of your household, may result in action being taken against your tenancy.

  • Being responsible for your pet

    If you keep a pet, you are responsible for their behaviour and for ensuring that it's kept under control both in your home and surrounding areas. You need to make sure that your pet is well looked after and that it doesn't cause any nuisance to your neighbours, or pose a threat to anyone. 

    Before having a pet you'll need to consider if your home and lifestyle are suitable for the type of pet you're planning to keep. The care different species and breeds of animal require can vary greatly, from the amount of outdoor exercise to the cost of providing for your pet.  Introducing a pet may have an impact upon your heating and electricity costs, as well as the increased costs you'll have for feeding and veterinary care.  

    There is information online about the cost of caring for different pets.

    If you want a dog and you have your own garden or access to outside space, it's your responsibility to ensure the area is safely and fully enclosed, that there are no gaps in any fencing, and that neighbours will not be affected by your new pet.

    Dog owners have a legal responsibility to control their dogs. Government information on this can be found by clicking here.

  • I am currently experiencing pet-related nuisance in my home, what can I do?

    If you're experiencing nuisance from your own pet, you can look for advice and guidance online. The RSPCA website has relevant information. 

    If you suspect that a neighbour is guilty of cruelty or neglect towards an animal then you should report this to the RSPCA. You should telephone the 24-hour National Cruelty and Advice Line on 0870 5555 999. The RSPCA will ask you a series of questions, they promise to keep your details confidential, and you can also contact the RSPCA via their website by clicking here.

  • What action can you take concerning nuisance pets?

    In the vast majority of cases, we'll try to resolve the issue informally after hearing both sides of the story. If this doesn't work, then there are a number of more formal approaches we can take:

    • We may withdraw permission for the animal
    • We can restrict the number of animals kept at a property if this is likely to resolve the problem
    • Making responsible pet ownership part of an Acceptable Behaviour Contract - this is a formal contract signed by the person causing the problem, us, and in some cases a third party such as the police
    • Involving statutory organisations such as the police or the Local Authority environmental health department
    • Involving voluntary organisations such as the RSPCA
    • Serving an injunction to oblige the owner to start or stop undertaking certain actions or to remove the animal
    • Terminating the tenancy where tenancy conditions are breached


    If you want to report a nuisance, please click here to get in touch with us, or call our Customer Hub on 0345 602 0540.