Keeping pets in your home

This page contains information for you about having a pet in one of our properties. It also has links to helpful information about caring for pets, the legal responsibilities that pet owners have, certain types of animals that we do not allow or that are illegal in the UK. There is also information on how to report any concerns you may have about pets in your neighbourhood.

Having a pet can be a rewarding experience for you and your family.  However irresponsible pet ownership has the potential to cause suffering for the animals and members of your household and may be a nuisance to your neighbours. 

If you are one of our customers you can use our easy tool to find out if we will allow you to keep the pet you want in your property or not. 

Once you have confirmed, please complete this form.

  • What sort of pets can I have in my property?

    You will need to get permission from Midland Heart if you want to keep a pet in your Midland Heart home. The only circumstances under which you do not need to get permission from Midland Heart are if:

    • You have a Guide dog or Assistance dog 
    • You want to keep fish in a tank
    • You want to keep 1 small rodent in a cage
    • You want to keep 1 bird in a cage


    If the property you are living in or moving into is suitable for the pets you wish to keep and there are no known issues with keeping pets (e.g. previous evidence of failing to keep pets or the number of requests for any type of animal seems to be ‘excessive,’) or there are no issues with keeping pets.  We will assess all applications to keep a pet and will look to grant or decline permission in accordance with the below.




    Flat (high rise)

    Flat or Maisonette (with direct access to outdoor space and ground floor)

    1 dog

    Yes (maximum   of 2)


    Yes (maximum   of 2)

    1 cat

    Yes (maximum   of 2)


    Yes (maximum   of 2)





    Bird in a cage




    Fish tank





    If you are thinking about getting a pet but would like more advice or information the RSPCA offer lots of guidance on different sorts of animals and different breeds that are suitable for different life styles.

  • How do I get permission to have a pet in my Midland Heart property?

    If you want to get permission to keep a pet in your Midland Heart property you will need to check your tenancy agreement. You need to ensure that getting a pet would not be a breach of your tenancy agreement.

    If it wouldn't be a breach of your tenancy you'll need to complete a Pet Request Form.  You can click here to complete the online Pet Request Form.

  • What type of pets are not allowed in Midland Heart properties?

    We do not allow certain types of animals  to be kept in Midland Heart properties as pets.  You are not allowed to keep::

    • Any animal that requires a license under the Dangerous and Wild Animals Act.  You can check this by going to the Government Legislation Site
    • Any animal that requires a license under the Dangerous Dogs Act .  This act was amended in May 2014 that include it a Criminal Offence for the person in charge of a dog to allow it to be ‘dangerously out of control,’ either on private or public grounds.  More information about this and a list of banned dogs can be found by clicking here
    • Any type of farm animals
    • Any type of bird of prey
    • Any type of animal that requires external kennels, runs or aviaries ( With the exception of Guide or Assistance Dogs)
  • Keeping a pet in a Midland Heart property

    If you have a pet in your Midland Heart property it is your responsibility to care for it and to keep it under control.  If your animal is sick you may be eligible for free veterinary care depending upon your circumstances.  Follow this link to the PDSA site to find out if you are eligible for free or supported veterinary care.

    You may wish to get you pet neutered.  Depending upon your circumstances you may be able to have your pet neutered free of charge or at a reduced cost.  For more information about having your cat neutered follow this link to the Cats Protection information page.  For more information about low cost dog neutering follow this link to the Dogs Trust information page

  • What happens if my cat has kittens/dog has puppies?

    If you decide to keep the kittens / puppies and do not find them suitable new homes, you will exceed the number of animals we have given you permission to keep.

    Keeping more animals than we have given you permission for, regardless of how they came to be part of your household, may result in action being taken against your tenancy.

    If you want a puppy / dog and you have your own garden / access to outside space, it is your responsibility to ensure the area is safely and fully enclosed, that there are no gaps in any fencing and that neighbours will not be affected by your new pet.

  • Being responsible for your pet

    If you keep a pet in a Midland Heart property you are responsible for the pets behaviour and for ensuring that it is kept under control both in the home and the surrounding areas.  You need to ensure that your pet is well looked after and that it does not cause nuisance to your neighbours or pose a threat to anyone. 

    Before having a pet you will need to consider if your home and lifestyle  are suitable for the type of pet you are planning to keep.  The care different species and breeds of animal require can vary greatly, from the amount of outdoor exercise to the cost of providing for your pet.  Introducing a pet may have an impact upon your heating and electricity costs as well as the increased costs you will have for feeding and veterinary care.  

    There is information online about the cost of caring for different pets.

    Dog owners have a legal responsibility to control their dogs.  Government information on this can be found by clicking here.

  • I am currently experiencing pet related nuisance in my home what can I do?

    If you are experiencing nuisance from your own pet you can look for advice and guidance online.  The RSPCA website has relevant information. 

    If you suspect that a neighbour is guilty of cruelty or neglect towards an animal then you should report this to the RSPCA. You should telephone the 24 hour National Cruelty and Advice Line on 0870 5555 999. The RSPCA will ask you series of questions, they promise to keep your details confidential you can also contact the RSPCA via the website by clicking here.

  • What action Midland Heart can take concerning nuisance pets

    In the vast majority of cases, we will try to resolve the issue informally after hearing both sides of the story. If this does not work then there are a number of more formal approaches we can take. This includes:

    • We may withdraw permission for the animal
    • We can restrict the number of animals kept at a property if this is likely to resolve the problem
    • Making responsible pet ownership part of an Acceptable Behaviour Contract - this is a formal contract signed by the person causing the problem,  Midland Heart in some cases a third party such as the police
    • Involving statutory organisations such as the Police or the Local Authority environmental health department
    • Involving voluntary organisations such as the RSPCA
    • Serving an injunction to oblige the owner to start or stop undertaking certain actions or to remove the animal
    • Terminating the tenancy where tenancy conditions are breached


    If you want to report a nuisance to Midland Heart please email us at or call our Customer Hub on 03456020540.