Could you get a discount on your council tax?

It won’t be long until your council tax bill for 2019/20 will arrive on your doormat. But have you checked if you are eligible for a discount?

You will usually have to pay council tax if you are 18 or over and own or rent a home. A full council tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a home; spouses and partners who live together are both responsible for paying the bill.

You might be able to get a reduction or discount on your bill if:

  • You are on a low income and have savings below £16,000
    You can apply whether you rent or own your home, but you must live there and it must be your only or main place of residence.
  • You are a student or you live with students
    Many full time students are eligible for a an exemption or discount. You qualify as a full time student if you study for at least 21 hours per week for 24 weeks of the year. If you live alone you should be exempt but if you live with adults who are not students, you may get a discount.
  • You live alone or are the only adult in your home
    The single person discount is 25% off your total council tax bill. You can claim single person discount if you are the only adult aged 18 years in the property for the majority of the time. You may also be able to get this discount if your partner is exempt from council tax as you would be classed as the only chargeable adult.

  • You get certain benefits
    This includes jobseekers allowance, income support, pension credit, employment and support allowance. The discount usually happens when you apply for housing benefit.

    If you receive Universal Credit, you will have to apply separately for council tax support from your local council directly.

  • If you or someone you live with has a disability
    You may be eligible for a discount if the property has been adapted.
  • You are severely mentally impaired or living with someone who is
    You will need to have this confirmed by a medical professional and also be in receipt of a qualifying benefit.

Applications for council tax support, reduction and discounts can be made directly to your local council tax office.

If you need help with applying for the above discounts or you just need some money advice, contact our Money Advice team.

20th February 2019 | 2019