Welfare Support Grant

Many local councils have local welfare support grants available, to assist vulnerable people in a short-term crisis with food and essential items. Not all councils run these schemes, but find out if your local council does by clicking this link - Local Welfare Assistance Finder - End Furniture Poverty.

Emergency food

Food banks don’t just provide food. They also make sure people get essential household items. The largest foodbank organisation in the UK is our partner, the Trussell Trust. If you give us a ring on 0345 60 20 540, we can help refer you to them.

Budgeting loan & budgeting advance

The government no longer offers crisis loans but people can apply for a budgeting loan or advance instead. You may be eligible for a loan if you have an unexpected expense and have been on one of the following benefits for at least 26 weeks:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credits
  • Universal Credit

You can use a budgeting loan or advance to help pay for things like furniture and appliances. The amount you can apply for depends on your situation. Repayments to a budgeting loan/advance are deducted from your benefits. To apply, contact your jobcentre, call the universal credit helpline on 0800 328 5644 or update your universal credit journal.

Hardship payments

If you've received a benefit sanction and don’t have enough money for essentials, you can apply for a hardship payment. Call the Universal Credit helpline to ask for a hardship payment.