Every year, people are injured by faulty electrics and electrical equipment in their own home. Around half of all fires in the home are started by electrical faults.
To help keep you safe, we complete electrical inspections in your home, before you move in and every five years after.
We’ll write to you in advance to let you know when your electrical inspection is. When we visit we'll check electrical sockets, wiring, light fittings, wired smoke alarms and lighting with closed covers in your building.
We'll also carry out an Electrical Safety Check (Portable Appliance Testing) in all communal areas every two years.
If you spot any signs of electrical faults or problems in your home, please contact us immediately and we’ll arrange a repair with one of our qualified contractors. Please don’t try to repair anything yourself as it could be dangerous.
For your safety check or repair, you’ll need to be home to let the electrician in, so please let us know if the date isn’t suitable and we’ll arrange a time that works for you.
Here are some helpful tips to keep your home safe:
- Never overload plug sockets or extension leads
- Maintain your electrical appliances and register new ones
- Check cables before using an appliance (if you notice wear and tear, or the plug isn’t securely fastened, don’t use it)
- Switch off any electrical appliances or items you aren’t using
- Don’t use a bulb with a higher wattage than what’s on your light fitting
- Make sure you buy genuine electrical items from a reputable company as some cheaper imports aren’t safe
- Never take mains-powered electrical items into the bathroom
- Check light fittings and plug sockets aren’t visibly damaged and let us know if they are
- Make sure you know where your fuse box is, so you can turn the mains switch off in an emergency
- Let us know if you spot someone using the communal electricity as it could lead to overloaded sockets and switches
During our safety checks, we’ll make sure that the electrics in your home are safe.
When we visit, we'll check electrical sockets, wiring, light fittings, wired smoke alarms and lighting with closed covers in your building.
We’ll write to you in advance, letting you know when your appointment is. Please let us know if you need to rearrange it.
Examples of an electrical repair are:
- Loss of power to your home
- Extractor fan not working
- No heating/ hot water from an immersion tank
- Electric shower not working
- A plug socket or light switch not working
To report an electrical repair, please click here.
Electrical safety concerns
If you’re concerned about the electrics in your home or building please make sure you get in touch with us as soon as possible.
Examples of an electrical safety concern are:
- We’ve been out to complete a repair but the issue hasn’t been resolved
- We’ve been to resolve an issue multiple times but you’re still having issues
- You’re concerned about someone else’s electrical safety in your block
To report an electrical click here